Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog Assignment #4

Don't teach your kids this stuff
http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2009/08/dont-teach-your-kids-this-stuff-please.html

I like the unique display of getting your point across. I agree and disagree with some of his points. I agree that we should keep an eye on what are kids are looking up on the internet. But I don't agree with him on that you should just keep them from using a computer but make sure they don't get into anything they shouldn't be into. Because technology is becoming one of the better ways to teach children about areas that will help them later in life. I like that he is try to bridge a gap that he sees in the educational system. Like trying to speed up schools and slow down the pace of technology so that they will meet some where in the middle. (Scott McLeod is a Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at Iowa State University and a Director of UCEA Center for the Advanced Studies of Technology Leadership in Education. He also has been a professor at Minnesota and Cincinnati, been a middle teacher, graduate assistant,a legal intern, a camp counselor, and a university hall director.)

The iSchool Initiative


In the video the some of the arguments that he makes for today's schools into iSchool. Some of the points he bring up are that it would save money the student,teacher, and school. By making where each student would be give a iphone with all the application from school for all their classes. It would help teacher because the could be able to grade the assignment they give out quicker and keep up better with students that are struggling in certain areas. Which would make were they could talk to them after class or by email without letting the other students know. The school would benefit because like the senior who did this video said it would cut down the cost that they spend on each student by $450 dollars per student and it would help the environment. I really like the idea that was proposed in the video it look like that would help school budgets, so that they wouldn't have to cut teachers. I'd like to if a school would try it for a year and see if it ends up saving them money. If it works then start trying more and more. An I believe it would keep the students interested in their classes.


The Lost Generation


At first I was like this is depressing and I know I don't want that to be true. But when the second message was given I was like yes that is what I want everyone to strive for to energized and wanting to keep their families together and believe that we can change the world it just takes one person to make a push in that direction. After watching the video I thought the technique she used was awesome and it keeps the person watching it til it is done.

Eric Whitaker" Virtual Choir


I think it is pretty cool that none of these people had never met and yet they put on a great performance. It just shows how much technology has improved. Making were you can start doing meets and other things without having to have everybody there because they could use the internet to do meeting and anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Good post T. J. ! Yes, there are a lot of great possibilities regarding the ischool idea. Talking about something and actually doing it are two entirely different things. I would love to see a study done on this idea. Although, I think I would use an ipad instead of an itouch. But, that would bring the cost back up. The point is that we have been using the same model for years. I for one believe there has got to be a better way.

    Your blog looks good. Don't forget to proof read before posting. SS

    ReplyDelete